Tired of the same old thing for dinner? Not sure what to make with the interesting vegetables you just had to buy at the market? Need a new recipe for summer squash? We can help with all of those problems. Check out the recipe tab on the website for several new ideas (http://caryfarmersmarket.com/brain-food/). Many of the produce vendors have great recipes ready to hand out — or will talk you through family favorites.
As for the spice — pepper of all varieties, colors, and heat are plentiful — enjoy and experiment!
We have a special treat for the whole family this Saturday — Sherry and Bob Briscoe (Gourd Artisans) – Sherry and Bob will be doing demonstrations of gourd crafting, cleaning, sanding, sculpting, etc., as well as various types of paints, inks, pens, stains, etc., that can be used on gourds. They will have several examples of their gourd art on display and will be answering any questions that market attendees may have about the NC Gourd Society, their annual festival, and gourd crafting in general. They will also have free seeds available for distribution.
News from our vendors:
- Spahr’s Farms will have Hydroponic bibb lettuce, Tomatoes,English burpless cucumbers,Red potatoes,Yukon gold potatoes,Aruba Peppers,Bell Peppers,Squash–yellow and zucchini,Sweet Onions,Fresh basil,Brown eggs,and Honey.
- Donna of Mind Your Beeswax/Go Green Totes is always in need of your extra plastic bags to create the totes. Bring your bags to her at the market on Saturday mornings.
- Parker Farm and Vineyard will be at market this week with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, eggplant, peppers, garlic, okra, eggs, Chinese long beans, cut flowers, ristras and goat/s milk soap. See you there!
- This Saturday Motley Crops will have tasty mixed cooking greens, summer squash, kale, swiss chard, tomatoes, fresh cut herbs (basil, thai basil, mint, thyme), small basil plants, cut flowers, vermicompost (the best thing you can do for your plants!) and recipes.
- Barbara will be bringing corn, okra, cucumbers, squash, cherry tomotoes, potatoes, and cantaloupe.
- Shore to Door Seafood will have shrimp, scallops, crabmeat (lump, claw, and cocktail claw), cobia, salmon, and mahi. Fresh Yellowfin Tuna and Oysters in the pint will be this weeks specials!
- Salem Gardens still has a good selection of plants that survived our record temps! So what held up through the torture? Euphorbia, (both perennial and annual), angelonia, portulaca, sedums, dianthus, sweet potato vines, trailing vinca, and coleus. Some others too. A good time to replace leggy annuals that didn’t surive the heat. New inventory includes stained glass hostas and elsies gold sedum. See you saturday.
- Open Door Farms will have eggplant, hot and sweet peppers, edamame, ground cherries, cherry and slicing tomatoes, onions, potatoes and fresh herbs. Bordeaux Lane Studio will bring new mother of pearl and jade pendants.
- Parker Family Farms will have beef, pork and maybe chicken. Products that we have been out of lately we finally have: Bacon, smoked ham slices, min breakfast links: hot, mild or maple, Smoked chops.
- Sweet Temptations will have Quinoa Sour Cream Fudge cakes, Plum Tarts, and other goodies on Saturday.
Don’t forget our market is open on Tuesday from 3:00-6:00. Spahr Farms, Currin Farms, and a growing number of our other regular vendors will be out for your mid week shopping.
Share on Facebook